SEMINOLE COUNTY, Okla. -- An Oklahoma family is dealing with a heartbreaking injury involving a 12-year-old boy. The Seminole County boy was severely burned last Friday in a freak accident involving gasoline.
Lane Cloud is lucky to be alive, but he is now struggling with painful burns.
His family says he has a tough road ahead, but thanks to their community, they know they won't be traveling alone.
Ronda Silas, Lane’s grandmother, said, “It's hard. It's really hard. It's hard to see him in pain.”
Ronda says Lane is an athletic and outgoing kid.
But Lane is now hospitalized... his face, chest and arm burned.
“He's a little sore. The swelling is going down. He's embarrassed to go outside,” Ronda said.
Ronda says the incident happened when he was with a family member, filling up a motorcycle with gas from a gas can, when somehow, the gasoline ignited.
“The gas can got thrown and when it got thrown, it got on Lane. It ignited Lane, caught his shirt on fire,” Ronda said.
The flames quickly spread to his face.
Ronda says his 7-year-old brother witnessed the whole thing.
“It's been tough on him. He keeps telling me he has flashbacks,” said Ronda. “He could smell his skin burning. He said he can't get that smell out of his nose and stuff.”
Lane was rushed from where the accident happened to a hospital in Holdenville. From there, he was rushed to an Oklahoma City hospital, and then flown to a burn unit in Galveston, Texas.
“The hardest thing is taking a bath, that really burns him,” Ronda said.
Lane is doing well, but doctors say he will need surgery on his jaw and one of his ears in the next few months.
It's a lot for a 12-year-old to grasp.
“He's having a lot of hard times right now,” Ronda said.
Ronda says there is a chance doctors will release Lane from the hospital next week. However, his recovery will continue for quite a while.
Those who know the family have set up a GoFundMe account to help with the expenses related to Lane's recovery.
The community where his family lives is also working to organize several fundraisers for the family.