Construction, detours drivers should avoid on Independence Day weekend
OKLAHOMA CITY – While thousands of Oklahomans will be celebrating the Fourth of July, experts say that means that many people will be on the roads.
The Oklahoma Department of Transportation says drivers can expect delays in several areas in central and southern Oklahoma.
Drivers can expect lengthy delays in the following areas:
- 24th Ave. S.W. closed between Lindsey St. and SH-9 East in Norman – North and southbound lanes on 24th Ave. S.W. is closed to through traffic between Lindsey St. and Hwy 9 East through late July.
- I-35/ SH-9 East interchange project in Norman – Work continues at the I-35 interchanges at Lindsey St. and SH-9 East and on SH-9 East at 24th Ave. S.W. in Norman. Drivers should plan extra time or choose an alternate route.
- I-35 narrows between Pauls Valley and Wynnewood – North and southbound I-35 is narrowed to one lane in each direction one mile north of SH-29 between Pauls Valley and Wynnewood. Consider using US-77 as an alternate route.
- I-35 lanes narrowed, ramp closed near Turner Falls – I-35 is narrowed to one lane in each direction near Turner Falls.
- I-35 narrowed near Ardmore – I-35 is narrowed to one lane in each direction for bridge rehabilitation over US-70 and the railroad.
- SH-53 narrows east of Springer – SH-53 is narrowed to one lane with traffic signals six miles east of US-77.
- US-177 narrows north of Baum – US-177 is narrowed to one lane with traffic signals north of Baum.
- US-70 narrows east of Lone Grove – US-70 is narrowed to one lane in each direction east of Lone Grove.
- I-40 narrows in El Reno – I-40 is narrowed to one lane in each direction in El Reno near US-281 Jct.
- I-40 narrows at SH-27 in Okemah – East and westbound I-40 is narrowed to one lane in each direction at the SH-27 interchange in Okemah.
- US-69 narrows north of Eufaula – US-69 is narrowed at SH-150 north of Eufaula.
- US-69 narrows near Stringtown – US – 69 is narrowed to one lane in each direction one mile north of SH-43 near Stringtown.
- US-270 narrows near Wilburton – US-270 is narrowed to one lane five miles east of the Pittsburg Co. line and again four miles east of the SH-2 junction near Wilburton.
- US-70 narrows in Durant – Drivers can expect a signed detour on US-70 in Durant.
- SH-10C closed in Ottawa County – The highway is closed northeast of Wyandotte between the SH-10 junction and the Missouri 43 junction.
- SH-66 narrows near SH-266 – The left lane of east and westbound SH-66 will be closed at SH-266 in Verdigris from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- SH-167 narrowed north of I-44 – North and southbound SH-167 is narrowed to one open lane and a 12-foot lane restriction is in place from Pine St. to near the SH-266/ SH-167 junction in Catoosa.
In the Oklahoma City metro:
- The intersection of N.E. 10th and Walnut Ave. will be a four-way stop through mid-June.
- East and westbound N.E. 10th is narrowed to one lane in each direction between just west of I-235 and just east of Central Ave.
- Westbound N.E. 8th St./ Harrison Ave. is narrowed to one lane just east of I-235.
- Walnut Ave. remains closed between N.E. 10th St. and N.E. 8th St./ Harrison Ave.
- I-40 lanes narrowed in Midwest City – The left lane of eastbound I-40 is closed and the speed limit is reduced between Hudiburg Dr. and the Hruskocy Gate.
- I-44 speed limit reduced at SH-152 – Lanes are narrowed and speed limit on westbound I-44 is reduced at the Airport Rd. interchange.
- I-44 ramps at NW Expressway, city streets closed at Belle Isle Bridge – All lanes of eastbound and westbound I-44 are now open at the Belle Isle Bridge between Penn and Western.
- Southbound Classen Blvd. is closed just north of the I-44 Belle Isle Bridge and southbound traffic is detoured on Belle Isle Blvd. to NW Expressway.
- The eastbound I-44 on-ramp from eastbound NW Expressway and the westbound I-44 off-ramp to NW Expressway are closed.
- Shields Blvd. and Compress Ave. closed, detoured near I-40 – Northbound and southbound Shields Blvd. is closed between Reno Ave. and S.W. 4th St.
- Compress Ave. is closed east of Gaylord Blvd. and south of Oklahoma Ave.