YUKON, Okla. - All of the spring and summer rain has brought snakes closer to homes.
Now, a Yukon Boxer is fighting for his life after he was bit by a venomous snake last weekend.
"He came to us lethargic, not happy, depressed, temp very low and in a great amount of pain," a staff member at Yukon Pet Care Clinic said.
It has been an uphill battle for Max ever since he was bitten by a Copperhead snake in his backyard.
"The venom spread from his chest to his abdomen area and due to that spreading of the venom, his skin became necrosis and began slopping off and it's all exposed," another staff member said.
Carolyn was out-of-town at a funeral and didn't find out Max was bitten until the next day.
She says she immediately got him help, but a lot of damage was already done.
"Whenever he came in, he had all of his tissue intact and then in a couple of days, he formed holes and then it all came off. So now it's bare chest cavity and ab wall. So keeping that moist and bandaged is the hard part. They become dehydrated when there is no skin to keep the water in," said one staff member at Yukon Pet Care Clinic.
The clinic has been caring for Max with wound care and IV fluids since he came in.
But, they say they've done all they can do.
They now are trying to get him moved to vet at OSU.