Sooner Magic Awakens in the Volunteer State

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

Oklahoma rallied with two fourth quarter touchdowns to tie Tennessee 17-17 and force overtime, then got an interception from Zack Sanchez to clinch a 31-24 win in double overtime on Saturday at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Tennessee.

The Sooner offense had been stagnant for most of the game, and Tenneseee took advantage of a Baker Mayfield interception on OU's opening possession, getting a field goal to take a 3-0 lead.

The Volunteers added to the lead with a 9-yard touchdown pass from Joshua Dobbs to Josh Malone to make it 10-0 late in the first quarter.

The score capped a 51-yard drive in 8 plays.

Tennessee added to the lead on a four-yard touchdown run by Dobbs early in the second quarter to make it 17-0.

Oklahoma finally got on the board with a 35-yard field goal from Austin Seibert later in the second quarter.

It was set up by a 29-yard pass from Mayfield to Durron Neal.

In the third quarter, OU's offense continued to struggle.

Mayfield was intercepted for the second time by Todd Kelly.

Oklahoma's defense also has not been able to create a turnover.

Twice the Sooners have forced a fumble but were unable to recover.

Late in the third quarter Jalen Hurd fumbled for Tennessee, but Charles Tapper tried to pick the ball up and run and he bobbled it, allowing Hurd to recover and keep the Vols in possession.

Oklahoma's offense finally awakened in the fourth quarter, putting back-to-back touchdown drives to tie the game.

The first drive went 80 yards in 14 plays, with Mayfield passing to Samaje Perine for a 2-yard touchdown to cut the Vols' lead to 17-10.

After OU's defense held, the Sooners then went 60 yards in 13 plays, with Mayfield passing to Sterling Shepard for a 5-yard touchdown with 40 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

Tennessee took a knee after a penalty on the kickoff return and the game went to overtime tied at 17.

In overtime, Tennessee got the ball first and scored a touchdown as Jalen Hurd ran it in from 8 yards out.

When it was OU's turn, the Sooners answered, with Mayfield keeping on a one-yard touchdown run on 4th and goal.

The second overtime began with OU having the ball, and they scored in three plays, with Mayfield passing to Shepard for an 18-yard touchdown to put the Sooners up 31-24.

On Tennessee's possession, Sanchez intercepted Dobbs to end it and give the Sooners the 31-24 win.

A crowd of over 100,000 was at Neyland Stadium, making it the largest attendance ever for an OU football game.



Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.