Woman left “close to death,” forced to have stomach removed after drinking shot

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LANCASHIRE, England – A wine bar and bistro is being fined over 100,000 pounds for causing a woman severe injuries.

According to the BBC, Gaby Scanlon was celebrating her 18th birthday at Oscar’s Wine Bar & Bistro in 2012.

During the celebration, a bartender gave Scanlon a Nitro-Jagermeister, which contains liquid nitrogen.

“I turned to the man and asked if it was okay to drink. He said, ‘Yes,” Scanlon testified in court. “Smoke was coming from my nose and mouth. Straight away, I knew something was not right. My stomach expanded.”

She was immediately rushed to the hospital, where doctors say she was close to death.

In fact, surgeons had to entirely remove her stomach and connect her esophagus to her intestines.

Experts say that the liquid nitrogen must completely evaporate before the drink is safe.

Health officials say they told the owners of the bar that they had concerns about the drink months before it was ever served to Scanlon. They say they even sent a letter with guidelines on how to properly serve a drink with liquid nitrogen so no one would get hurt.

The BBC says the bar pleaded guilty to one count of failing in the duty of an employer to ensure the safety of persons not in its employment.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.