OKLAHOMA -- October is breast cancer awareness month, and Carey Sue Vega is talking about a different kind of awareness.
If you don't know what to say or how to react to a friend or family member who has cancer, you're not alone. There is a certain etiquette that should be maintained when speaking about such a sensitive subject.
There are certain things that make cancer patients immediately cringe:
- What stage are you?
- Are you going to lost your hair?
- At least they caught it early.
- Are you sure you want to do that treatment?
- Just let me know what you need.
But there are some positive and encouraging things you can say to those who are battling cancer:
- I admire your courage and strength.
- You are facing a huge challenge, but you're doing a great job.
- My prayers and encouragement are with you.
- You are an inspiration to me and others.
In the video above, Vega also talks about practical ways to help a friend or family member with cancer.