This is a fantastic, kid-friendly recipe that saves money, makes the house smell wonderful and takes very little time. In addition, it allows for the customization of ingredients to different diets and tastes. Enjoy!
- 3 Cups Rolled Oats (do not use instant: steel cut will yield a more "stuck together" product than regular)
- 3 T Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 1 t ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 t ground Ginger
- 1/4 t Kosher Salt (optional)
- 1 t Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 1/4 C melted butter OR 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 3/4 C - 1 C diced dried fruit
- 3/4 C - 1 C seeds and nuts
Preheat oven to 300. In a large bowl (3 quart +) combine brown sugar, spices, honey and melted butter (or oil.) Mix thoroughly. Add oats. Mix again thoroughly to evenly coat. Add fruit, seeds and nuts. Mix again. Spread in even layer on a baking sheet with edge.(this recipe will fill an 18"x12") Place in preheated oven 15 minutes. Using spatula, stir/fold thoroughly. Return to oven for another 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Granola will harden as it cools.
I like pumpkin seeds, sunflower kernels, almonds, cashews, Craisins, pineapple, raisins and banana chips. Other ideas include dried blueberries, apples, mango, apricot, flax seed, pecans, peanuts - get creative and enjoy!