“She is definitely a fighter,” Mother shot during gunfight with intruders while protecting infant

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – A young mother is recovering after being shot twice by intruders while protecting her infant son.

According to WCNC, Samantha Bunce was at home taking care of her 4-month-old son, Bentley, while her husband was at work.

On Tuesday afternoon, she heard a loud noise coming from the front door.

Police say Bunce immediately ran and put the baby in his crib and grabbed her husband’s gun.

When she reached the entryway, she was met by two intruders, who had kicked down the front door.

A gunfight ensued in the middle of the home.

“She was in the gunfight in the house. Multiple shots going back and forth,” Paul Bunce, Samantha’s husband said.

Bunce was shot once in the stomach and once in the arm.

Fortunately, Bentley was not injured in the ordeal.

“Not a scratch is on him. She brought the matter away from him. She definitely protected him. She laid him down in the crib upstairs in our room and he was safe there,” he said.

Bunce family photos

Bunce family photos

She was rushed to a nearby hospital in critical condition.

“We are making progress. I am able to talk to her. She is going in and out because of the medication. She is in severe pain,” Paul Bunce told WCNC. “We have a little boy, a son. She is breastfeeding, so I go in and pump for her.”

Now, the family is struggling to pay the medical bills.

Paul Bunce just started his job as a medical technician, but his benefits have not kicked in yet. His work created a You Caring account for the family.

Meanwhile, Samantha, a stay-at-home mom and a member of the National Guard Army Reserve, is getting better day after day.

“I’m hanging in there- taking baby steps, but steps in the right direction,” Bunce said. “She is definitely a fighter. She never gives up.”

On Sunday, Reco Latur Dawkins, Jr. turned himself over to authorities in connection with the shooting.

Officers are still searching for another suspect.