Woman charged in OSU homecoming tragedy to be evaluated at state mental hospital

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

STILLWATER, Okla. -- The driver charged in the OSU homecoming tragedy will be evaluated over the next month at a psychiatric hospital in Vinita, Oklahoma.

Monday morning, the first judge recused herself because she knows a victim in the case.

Chambers appeared in person for the hearing handcuffed and wearing an orange jumpsuit. She looked scared and timid but smiled at at her family when she walked into the courtroom.

Now, doctors evaluating Chambers will determine what happens next.

The 25-year-old woman, accused of killing 4 people and injuring nearly 50 others at the OSU Homecoming parade, is being moved to a psychiatric hospital where she'll undergo treatment and doctors will decide if she's mentally competent to stand trial.

The judge ruled Monday that, from here on out, all psychological information on Chambers will be sealed.

You may remember, last week, a letter with medical information from a doctor who evaluated Chambers at her attorney's request was filed publicly.

Monday prosecutors urged the judge to issue a gag order in the case.

Chambers' attorney, Tony Coleman, argued against it, saying while he's spoken at length to the media and made Chambers' family available to reporters, he argued Stillwater police have released a lot of information from investigation and painted Chambers as a drunk driver or drug user.

Coleman called that "reckless."

Ultimately the judge said he wants this case tried in court, not the media. So he issued a gag order for everyone involved - attorneys, witnesses, victims, and Chambers' family - until at least the next court date.

The next court date is set for 1:30 p.m. on Dec. 10. That’s when the outcome of the competency evaluation will determine the next step in the criminal proceedings.

Until Chambers' competency evaluation is complete, everything else in the case is at a standstill.

Monday, prosecutors gave the judge video from the Stillwater city jail where Chambers was held the night she was arrested. 

The video includes recorded conversations between Chambers and her attorney. That video is sealed and in the court clerk's vault.

The competence evaluation should be complete in 31 days.