Officials: Dirty chimney causes house fire in NW Oklahoma City

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY — There was a house fire in northwest Oklahoma City Thanksgiving afternoon.

The house fire happened in the 3200 block of NW NW 50th near May.

There were no working smoke alarms in the house, and there were six people inside at the time.

Officials say a passerby noticed the smoke and alerted the family of the problem.

When firefighters arrived at the scene, they saw smoke and flames in the attic near a chimney.

 

Fire officials say a quarter of the house was lost due to structural damage from the fire.

Everyone who was in the house when the fire started made it out safely, according to reports.

Oklahoma City Fire would like people to heed this particular fire as a reminder to keep your chimney clean.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.