Oklahoma Watches and Warnings
Watch KFOR Live Interactive Radar

Watch: Hoverboard bursts into flames inside Washington mall

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

AUBURN, Wash. – It’s one of the most requested gifts this holiday season, but there are some instances that may make you think twice before buying a hoverboard.

Just a week before Thanksgiving, Jessica Horne’s 12-year-old son received a hoverboard, powered by lithium batteries that allows riders to move without effort and steer with their feet.

One day after using it, Horne’s son was charging the battery with the charger that came with the hoverboard when flames shot out from both ends.

“It was like fireworks,” she said. “The middle part of the board, just poof.”

On Tuesday, witnesses say a hoverboard in a mall caught fire.

Witnesses say they heard an explosion and saw the board catch fire.

Mall employees immediately grabbed fire extinguishers to put out the blaze. However, one witness said even after the fire was put out, the board exploded again.

Fire officials believe the battery-powered device overheated.

Fortunately, no one was injured.