Police: Toddler dies from extreme heat while parents use, cook meth

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. CHARLES, Mo. - Authorities say a toddler died of extreme heat when his parents left him alone in a room for almost 38 hours.

On Sunday, 22-year-old Kathleen Peacock discovered that her 2-year-old son, Braydon, was dead and ran to a neighbor's home for help.

One neighbor told investigators that the child's room was extremely hot.

On Tuesday, police told KTVI that the child's parents were cooking methamphetamine at the time of his death.

Authorities say a space heater was left on in the boy's room and it never turned off.

They say the couple ignored his cries for help while they were on a weekend drug binge at their home.

Peacock and the boy's father, 25-year-old Lucas Barnes, are facing charges of child abuse and neglect and manufacturing meth.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.