Summertime heat bringing triple digit temperatures to the forecast
Follow storms on KFOR live interactive radar

Oklahoma authorities locate missing 76-year-old

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA - A Silver Alert for a Midwest City woman was cancelled, after she was found safe and sound.

Delois Jane Johns or Nana Jane, 76, was gone for almost twelve hours.

Johns suffers from dementia, but her family said, most of the time, she’s okay.

Her family spent all morning searching for her and posting to social media, and their diligence paid off.

“She might leave for an hour or so and then come back," said Johns' son, Randall Johns. "Just one or two episodes, but nothing like this.”

Johns left her Midwest City home at 1 Thursday morning, when a friend called and said she didn’t feel well and needed help getting to the hospital.

Her husband didn’t want her to leave.

“I said, 'Well, I’d rather you not do it," said Murray Johns. "And, she said, 'Well, I’m going anyway.'”

Johns left behind her wallet, cell phone and heart medication.

At 7:30 in the morning, that friend showed up at her house looking for her.

“She says, 'Where’s Jane?' And, I said, 'Well, I thought she’d be with you. She left here to go to your house to take you to the hospital," Murray said. "She said, 'Well, she never showed up.'”

Her family launched a search and a Silver Alert was issued.

“All we can do is just wait, pray, have some faith and see how this turns out," Randall said. "I know that, oftentimes, these things have a positive outcome."

And, this one did.

Thursday afternoon, Johns went into Rocky’s Place, a gas station in Choctaw on N.E. 23rd.

A customer recognized her and employees kept her safe and called police.

“It makes me feel good, but it makes me sad that she don’t remember,” said Esperanza Gastelun.

In fact, Gastelun remembers the last time this happened at Rocky’s, and it didn’t have a happy ending.

“A customer came in and asked for directions - an elderly lady, and they found her dead,” Gastelun said.  “I wasn’t going to let that happen.”

“I ran out of gas,” Johns said, after she was found.

Johns doesn’t remember much of the night.

Her family is just grateful to have her back to ring in the new year.

“We’re just so blessed, so thankful and social media and putting that out there and the news and I mean, if it wasn’t for that, I mean who knows where she would’ve gotten,” said Johns' granddaughter, Sarah McFadden.

Johns was just fine and did not have to be checked out at the hospital.

Her family was able to take her straight home.