Hoverboard blamed for sparking house fire in Oklahoma City

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY – Firefighters say a hoverboard may be to blame for a fire that sparked inside an Oklahoma City home.

On Thursday morning, authorities were called to the 1100 block of Carter Dr. on a possible house fire.

When fire crews made their way inside the home, they found that the fire had already been extinguished.

Investigators saw heavy char on one interior wall and a badly damaged hoverboard.

A witness inside the home said he heard what sounded like fireworks and saw “pieces of fire shooting across the room.”

Firefighters say a battery from the hoverboard was found in another room on a mattress, where it had burned a hole in the foam.

Oklahoma City firefighters say this is the first time they have responded to a fire involving a hoverboard.

At the time of the fire, crews say the hoverboard was charging.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.