“We didn’t think it would ever happen,” Hoverboard sparks house fire in Oklahoma City

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY - You have been hearing about hoverboards causing fires around the country.

Now, it has happened in Oklahoma City.

A charred wall with a hole in it, a burnt mattress and carpet that has been burnt to a crisp - that is what the Martinez family has to look at, after they say their hoverboard caught fire as it was charging.

"It sounded like gun shots," said Andrea Martinez. "When we seen the sparks go flying everywhere, I was sitting on the couch, and I seen it straight in here.”

Everyone in the house rushed out expect for Andrea’s husband, who stayed behind to put the fire out.

A short time later, firefighters arrived.

When they told her the hoverboard caused the fire, Andrea was stunned.

"I really didn't know what to think. We didn't think it would be that," Andrea said. "We heard about it, but we didn't think it would ever happen."

You can still see the marks left by the burning batteries, which were thrown several feet away from the machine.

"I'm just glad nobody got hurt in the time that it happened," Andrea said.

The family has already thrown the hoverboard away.

When NewsChannel 4 asked what brand it was, the family was not sure.

The Oklahoma City Fire Department said this is the first time they have worked a fire caused by a hoverboard.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.