Live Interactive KFOR Radar

Man dead after high speed chase through Kingfisher County

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KINGFISHER COUNTY, Okla. – A man is dead after a high-speed chase in Kingfisher County on Tuesday.

Deputies said it all started when a truck was stolen from a woman in Hennessy.

NewsChannel 4 spoke with her hours after the chase ended.

“I feel very fortunate," Marilyn Stites said. "God had my backside."

Stites was shaken up as she recounted the moments the man stole her blue Dodge truck right in front of her.

“I hollered, 'Get the hell out of my truck,'" Stites said. "Well, he just kind of gestured me, jumped in it and took off."

In the yard, you can still see the tire marks and the bent post he drove over.

“He got kind of down in the mud, and that’s when I came off from this porch over here and walked out into the road over here, and that’s when he pulled forward and tried to hit me, “ Stites said.

Thankfully, she escaped without being hurt.

“Scared to death, my heart sank to my knees,” Stites said.

Shortly after she called 911, deputies located the stolen truck.

They said the driver pulled over but, when a deputy approached him, he sped off down Highway 81.

“He exceeded the speed limit by quite a bit, wound up around 95 to 100 miles an hour," said Kingfisher County Undersheriff Bryon Blankenship. "He was on the wrong side of the highway at one point.”

Deputies said the pursuit ended when the truck barreled over a Highway 81 overpass and became wedged underneath.

The man inside was killed.

Stites's truck is now ruined.

“That truck meant the world to me. It was old, had a lot of miles on it. I didn’t have insurance, but it was mine," Stites said. "It was paid for and had a lot of memories."

She may be without a truck, but she is gracious to still have her life.

“After it’s all done, you stop and think, 'Oh my, this could have happened, and that could have happened," Stites said. "But, it didn’t, and I just praise God it didn’t."

The suspect's name has not been released pending notification of his family.

Stites said he was carrying something underneath a red towel.

She thought it might have been a gun.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.