GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – A Michigan teenager is fighting for her life after being diagnosed with a severe condition.
Family members say the teen didn’t feel very well at the beginning of January, so she stayed home from school.
“She was lying in bed,” Nate Whitten, Rylie’s father, said. “All of a sudden, she was moaning. This is not Rylie at all.”
After Rylie was taken to the emergency room, doctors immediately rushed her to the pediatric intensive care unit after receiving her blood work.
“You have the cardiovascular system failing, lungs failing, so it’s pretty serious; in her case, it was very serious,” said Dr. Surender Rajasekaran, who took over Rylie’s case.
She was put on life support and diagnosed with a severe infection that led to toxic shock syndrome.
Dr. Daliya Khuon told the Detroit Free Press that toxic shock syndrome is extremely rare and is typically caused by the use of super-absorbent tampons.
Rylie continues to heal and is slowly being taken off of life support, but she remains in intensive care.