WICHITA, Kan. – A Kansas father has a warning for all parents after finding something strange on his infant daughter’s foot.
Scott and Jessica Walker were out to lunch with their 19-week-old daughter, Molly, when she started screaming.
Scott says when Molly started to overheat, his wife started to remove her socks to help cool her down.
That is when they found the source of Molly’s screaming.
There was a hair tourniquet around the baby’s toe.
A hair tourniquet is a medical condition in which a strand of hair becomes wrapped around a toe or finger so tightly that it starts to cut off circulation.
Jessica was able to remove the piece of hair from her daughter’s toe using tweezers and a magnifying glass.
Scott says he took a picture of his daughter’s toe about 45 minutes after the hair was removed and the toe was still very swollen.
The father says the tourniquet cut through the baby’s skin.
He says a doctor told the couple to always check a baby’s toes because hairs can tangle around them inside socks.
Scott’s Facebook post about the experience has been shared more than 35,000 times.
You can read his entire post below:
Had a small scare this afternoon with Ms. Molly. What happened was new to me, but apparently not totally uncommon, so I figured I’d share with my fellow parents out there.
I was with the family over lunch and Molly was cranky and screaming–nothing out of the ordinary. As worked up as she was getting, she started to overheat, which prompted Jess to remove her socks and cool her down. That’s when we saw her toe. This is called a hair tourniquet, which is literally a strand of hair that, while inside a sock, unexplainably wraps around a toe so tight that it can cut through the skin and potentially cut off blood circulation.
Luckily for Molly, she has a mother with medical emergency superpowers who was able to remove the hair with tweezers and a magnifying glass within a few minutes. This picture was taken about 45 minutes after the hair was removed. Unfortunately, the hair managed to cut all the way through Molly’s skin, completely around her toe, but it could have been worse had it gone much longer untreated, or if the hair wasn’t accessible.
The doctor told me, for future reference, to always check the toes if the baby is inconsolable. Just an FYI to any parents or care takers out there.