Bizarre fire destroys inside of Oklahoma City home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY - A bizarre fire destroyed the inside of a southwest Oklahoma City home Thursday night.

Firefighters dealt with what is called an 'oxygen starved fire,' something many will never experience in their career.

While flames did not engulf the home, smoke and extreme heat caused $25,000 worth of damage.

The charred furniture and memories that sit outside the home on Clendon Way reminds Moneka Jeffers of everything she has lost.

"Never in a million years would I think I'd pull up to my home, and it's going up in smoke," Jeffers said.

When she got home, everything looked normal from the outside.

"I was digging in my purse to pull out the keys and my mom was like, 'Your windows are black,'" Jeffers said.

The windows were black because her blinds were melting.

Panic set in, and she called 911.

Strangely, when firefighters got to the home, there were no flames only smoke.

Fire officials said the flames used up all the oxygen in the room and put itself out.

It is a situation that can be especially dangerous for those going inside the home.

"If we go in at the wrong place and introduce oxygen again, the home could erupt into basically what we call 'back draft,' which is an explosive re-ignition of the fire," said Benny Fulkerson with the OKC Fire Department.

What the flames did not eat up the heat melted.

Now, Jeffers is left thinking about the things she has to replace and the things she cannot.

"Pictures you can't get back. You know, you can't get those back. Those memories you cannot get back once they're burnt and gone," Jeffers said. "You know, you can replace a couch, but you can't replace those things."

It has been a very hard week for the family.

Jeffers’ nephew recently passed away, and her adoptive children are mourning their mother who died last year.

Candles that were part of a shrine to remember them caused the fire.

A GoFundMe account has been set up to help the family.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.