Spark from whipping power lines starts commercial fire in N.W. Oklahoma City

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY – Fire crews were able to extinguish a commercial fire in northwest Oklahoma City Monday morning.

Officials say a two-story, multi-family residential building caught fire near N.W. 30th and Shartel around 9:45 a.m.

The building is being remodeled and is currently unoccupied.

Officials say power lines whipping in the wind came into contact with a piece of tin which caused a spark.

The spark then ignited a pole of combustible building materials behind the building.

The fire quickly spread into the building.

Heavy smoke and flames were pouring from the building when firefighters arrived on scene.

Eventually, fire crews were able to extinguish the blaze.

One firefighter sustained a minor laceration and was transported to a local hospital for treatment.

No other injuries were reported.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.