Watch: Man recovering after e-cigarette battery explodes

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OWENSBORO, Ky. – A man is recovering after suffering severe burns when an e-cigarette battery exploded in his pocket.

According to WFIE, Josh Hamilton was standing in line at a gas station when his pants caught fire.

Jassie Singh, one of the clerks at the gas station, said Hamilton reached into his pocket to give them money when there was a small explosion.

“I was just shocked, ‘What was that? You have a bomb in your pocket?” Manoj Kumar told WFIE.

Fortunately, an employee behind the counter grabbed a fire extinguisher and put the fire out.

Hamilton was admitted to a nearby hospital for second-degree burns on his leg.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.