Summertime heat bringing triple digit temperatures to the forecast

Eight-year-old girl suffocated by balloon on her birthday

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PORTLAND, Ore. — One family is warning about dangers of mylar balloon after they  found their 8-year-old girl was found unconscious in her bedroom with a balloon over her head.

Pat McGloghlon found her granddaughter unresponsive Wednesday after hearing her son’s screams  upstairs.

McGloghlon’s son went in to check on his daughter and all he saw was a foot sticking out of her bed. He then took the covers off and found the balloon on her head.

“It was a big mylar balloon, it’s like three-and-a-half feet tall. It was the number three. And they have different size fill holes. And the only thing we could think is that she opened it, to suck the helium out and put it over her head and she suffocated,” McGloghlon said.

McGloghlon’s son put his daughter on the floor and cut the balloon off her head. Meanwhile, the elder McGloghlon dialed 911.

Within a few minutes, Portland firefighters arrived. Firefighters attempted to revive the little girl for nearly an hour but were too late.

The girl’s death was ruled an accident by investigators.

McGloghlon hopes by sharing her granddaughter’s story, she can help other families avoid the same tragedy.

“Right now it’s just too raw with everybody. What can you say? We all want to turn back yesterday and start over again,” McGloghlon said.