And the “Razzie” goes to …
The film “Fifty Shades of Grey” did not receive a lot of critical acclaim from critics. However, the film received a lot of notoriety from the 36th annual Golden Raspberry (“Razzie”) Awards. The “awards” have celebrated the worst Hollywood has to offer each year since 1980.
“Fifty Shades of Grey” tied with the 2015 remake of “Fantastic Four” for worst film of the year.
“Fifty Shades of Grey” also won four other awards including worst actor – Jamie Dornan, worst actress – Dakota Johnson, the worst on-screen couple – Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson, and worst screenplay – Kelly Marcel, based on the novel by E.L. James. The film was a box-office success, earning $571 million worldwide for Universal Pictures in spite of an R Rating from the Motion Picture Association of America.
“Fantastic Four” won two other awards including worst director, Josh Trank and worst remake or sequel.
In an ironic twist, two Academy Award nominees are recipients of Razzie awards this year. Eddie Redmayne won worst supporting actor for his performance in “Jupiter Ascending.” Redmayne won an Academy Award last year for his performance as noted English theoretical physicist in “The Theory of Everything” and is nominated again for best actor for his performance in “The Danish Girl.”
All-time Razzie award winner Sylvester Stallone is the award recipient of “Razzie “redeemer award. The award goes to a performer who is the previous recipient of a “Razzie” who turns in a successful film or performance. Stallone is nominated for an Academy Award for best supporting actor for his performance as an aging Rocky Balboa in the film “Creed.”
Here is a complete list of “winners” from this year’s Golden Raspberry (“Razzie”) Awards:
- Worst picture of 2015: “Fantastic Four” and “Fifty Shades of Grey”
- Worst actor of 2015: Jamie Dornan, “Fifty Shades of Grey”
- Worst actress of 2015: Dakota Johnson, “Fifty Shades of Grey”
- Worst director of 2015: Josh Trank, “Fantastic Four”
- Worst on-screen couple of 2015: Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson, “Fifty Shades of Grey”
- Worst remake, rip-off or sequel of 2015: “Fantastic Four”
- Worst screenplay of 2015: Kelly Marcel, based on the novel by E.L. James, “Fifty Shades of Grey”
- Worst supporting actor of 2015: Eddie Redmayne, “Jupiter Ascending“
- Worst supporting actress of 2015: Kaley-Cuoco, “Alvin and The Chipmunks: Road Chip” (voice) and “The Wedding Ringer“
- Redeemer award: Sylvester Stallone, all-time “Razzie” award winner receiving an Academy Award nomination for best supporting actor for “Creed”