Up to the minute closings and delays

Firefighters battle multiple grass and structure blazes on Tuesday

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY —

The Oklahoma City Fire Department fought multiple grass and structure fires on Tuesday.

Oklahoma was fire alert after being placed under a red flag warning until 7 p.m. Tuesday for central, northern, and western parts of the state.

Fire crews only had two grass fires that amounted to anything, burning less than three acres combined, said Oklahoma City fire District Chief Benny Fulkerson.

“This was actually a very light day for us for grass fires,” he said.

About 1:12 p.m., fire crews responded to a fire call near SE 15 and Santa Fe Avenue.

The fire burned less than one acre of grass, tires, and trash on fire between Shields and the railroad right-of-way, Fulkerson said. Fire crews controlled this fire in about a half hour. No structures were threatened.

About 2:25 p.m., fire crews responded to a fire call near NE 36 and Air Depot Boulevard.

Firefighters and the Midwest City Fire Department both responded to the fire call, Fulkerson said.  The fire was right on the dividing line between Midwest City and Oklahoma City.  The fire burned less than two acres of grass and wildland along the railroad tracks.  Both agencies worked quickly to control the fire and extinguish remaining hot spots.

Around 3:33 p.m., fire crews responded to an apartment fire at the Warwick Apartments, 3142 NW Expressway.

Fire crews encountered a fire on the balcony of a downstairs unit of this apartment complex upon arrival, Fulkerson said.  Although the fire was extinguished, two units had minor damage from smoke.   The fire was caused by a cigarette discarded from the second-story balcony which caused the fire on the first-floor balcony. No one was injured from the fire.  Officials estimate the fire caused an estimated $6,500 worth of damage.

About 5:28 p.m., fire crews responded to an apartment fire at 1100 SW  77th Terrace.

Fire crews encountered a fire in the kitchen of one of the units, Fulkerson said. The fire got into some of the cabinets and did moderate damage to the entire kitchen area.  Investigators determined the occupants had left food on the stove and then left the premises.  No one was injured from the fire.  Officials estimate the fire caused an estimated $15,500 worth of damage.

About 5:59 p.m., fire crews responded to a house fire at 4317 SE 87.

The small kitchen fire was out upon arrival, Fulkerson said.

The weather had no bearing at all on any of the structure fires, Fulkerson said.