Court rejects lawsuit by kidnapping survivor Jaycee Dugard

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Jaycee Lee Dugard speaks onstage at the 3rd annual Diane Von Furstenberg awards at the United Nations on March 9, 2012 in New York City. (Photo by Andrew H. Walker/Getty Images)

SAN FRANCISCO – An appeals court says the U.S. government cannot be held responsible for the 1991 abduction of Jaycee Dugard, who was held by a federal parolee for 18 years.

Dugard had sued, alleging that federal officials should have revoked the man’s parole prior to her kidnapping. Phillip Garrido had been convicted of a previous rape and abduction.

This handout provided by the El Dorado County Sheriff, shows Phillip Garrido shortly after his arrest on August 27, 2009 in Placerville, California. Garrido, a convicted rapist, and his wife Nancy reportedly admitted to kidnapping Jaycee Lee Dugard in 1991 when she was 11 and holding her captive for the past 18 years. Garrido reportedly raped her for years and fathered two children with her. (Photo by El Dorado County Sheriff via Getty Images)

Phillip Garrido  (Photo by El Dorado County Sheriff via Getty Images)

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said Tuesday that Dugard wasn’t Garrido’s victim at the time he was placed under federal supervision. The court said U.S. authorities only have a duty to protect victims of parolees under their supervision.

Garrido kidnapped Jaycee from a California street in 1991 when she was 11 and kept her captive in a backyard compound, where he repeatedly raped her.

A message for Dugard’s attorney, Dale Kinsella, wasn’t immediately returned.