Dryer blamed for fire that killed nearly 70 dogs at Texas animal shelter

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BEAUMONT, Texas – The Humane Society of Southeast Texas was devastated after a fire spread through the facility.

Authorities with the Beaumont Fire Department told KSDK that the fire appears to have originated in a dryer inside the building.

Amy Bean, the president of the Humane Society of Southeast Texas, told KSDK that many of the animals did not survive, adding that the puppy room was the worst hit.

In all, 67 dogs died in the blaze.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.