“It’s unimaginable,” Two young boys killed in northeast Oklahoma City house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY - It was a difficult morning for one family in northeast Oklahoma City after a deadly house fire tore through their home.

Around 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday, firefighters rushed to a house fire in the 1200 block of N.E. 47th St.

A neighbor called 911 with devastating information for fire crews.

911 operator: "We've got a lot of help on the way. Are you sure the kids are inside the house?"

Caller: "I'm positive - the woman is outside crying."

911 operator: "How many kids are inside?"

The caller told dispatchers that a 3- and 4-year-old boy were still trapped inside the home, which was on fire.

The boys' mother said she believed they were in the front bedroom, but when firefighters got inside, they couldn't find the children.

Crews searched the home and eventually found the boys in a bathroom.

Tragically, it was too late to save them.

Loved ones were left heartbroken with many sobbing in the street.

Crystal Williamson tried to console the boys’ dad.

“One of the things he was saying when he going through his emotions was how is he going to live without his babies,” Williamson said.

District Chief Benny Fulkerson with the Oklahoma City Fire Department says the boys' mother got their wheelchair-bound grandmother out of the home first.

“I believe that she got her outside and placed her in a vehicle on the driveway, and that's when the mother tried to go back inside to get the children, but it was just too hot to go back inside already,” Fulkerson said.

The mother suffered minor burns, and paramedics took her to the hospital.

For hours, neighbors and friends stopped by the home, offering support for the family.

“As a mother myself, I can just feel the pain of the parents. It’s unimaginable, something like that would happen to kids, you just don’t think that would happen to somebody that young,” Williamson said.

It was a difficult day for firefighters, too.

“We want to remind everybody today to please practice exit drills in the home with your children, with your entire family, teach them to feel the door with the back of their hand, if it's hot, they need to learn how to go out another exit,” Fulkerson said.

The grandmother is okay, but someone did take her to the hospital to get checked out.

We expect the medical examiner’s office to release the children’s names on Wednesday.

Tuesday evening, investigators said the cause has been ruled as accidental, as the fire originated in a bedroom and appeared to have quickly spread to the attic.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.