“We need prayer,” Father of boys who died in house fire remembers his sons, thanks community for support

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY - A family is grieving after their two young children died in a house fire early Tuesday morning.

Around 9:30 a.m., officials say a passerby called 911 to report a house fire in the 1200 block of N.E. 47th Street.

The caller told dispatchers a 4- and a 3-year-old were trapped inside a bedroom in the burning home.

The boys' mother and their grandmother, who is wheelchair bound, made it out of the home safely.

When their mother tried to go back into the home to save the boys, the fire had already spread, trapping them.

Firefighters eventually found the children's bodies inside a bathroom.

The medical examiner's office has identified the victims as 3-year-old Jaylin Hooper-Williams and 4-year-old Trevian Hooper-Williams.

Officials say their cause of death was carbon monoxide inhalation and thermal injury.

The manner of death is an accident.

A memorial has been set up for the children killed in Tuesday's fire.

A memorial has been set up for the children killed in Tuesday's fire.

NewsChannel 4 spoke with the boy's father Wednesday.

"We need prayer, all we can ask for is prayer right now," said Mario Hooper. "We've been through all kinds of stuff, but we were able to make it, because we were all together."

Hooper says the boys were best friends, adding that his family is not complete.

"My whole life revolved around my family," he said.

Hooper's wife, Ashley, and the boys' grandmother made it out of the home safely, but the fire quickly trapped the boys inside the home.

"They were some good boys. I just keep hearing them telling me they want some candy," Hooper said.

The couple has other children, who are now struggling to understand what happened to their little brothers.

"Tre and Jaylin, they were the life of the party," Hooper said.

He says the family is still making funeral arrangements, adding that their family is thankful for the outpouring of support from the community.

“I still know God is on the throne. And, I just want to thank everybody for just reaching out. Just pray for our family, true prayer soldiers, because the only thing that’s going to help us get through this is God,” Hooper said.

Fire officials say their investigation, for the most part, is complete.

They say the fire started in a bedroom where there were multiple electronics.

"It is possible that one of those devices had something to do with the fire, but it could not be conclusively determined," said District Chief Benny Fulkerson with the Oklahoma City Police Department.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.