Creepy “Watcher” house goes back on the market as lawsuit continues

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ELIZABETH, N.J. - A New Jersey home supposedly stalked by an anonymous creepy-letter writer known as "The Watcher" is back on the market.

The couple who currently own the house bought the six-bedroom home in June 2014 for nearly $1.4 million.

But they refused to move in due to letters they say they received from a person with a "mentally disturbed fixation" on the home.

The letters started arriving on June 5, 2014, three days after the couple closed on the house.

The man who calls himself “The Watcher” sent multiple letters to the home telling the new buyers that the property “has been the subject of my family for decades.”

The Watcher allegedly claims to have been “put in charge of watching and waiting for its second coming.”

The Watcher claims that his father and grandfather before him watched the house, and that "It is now my time . . . you don't want to make 657 Boulevard unhappy."

“Why are you here? I will find out,” one letter says, according to a complaint filed in court.

The family alleges The Watcher also wrote that “I asked the [previous owners] to bring me young blood,” and said that “once I know their names, I will call to them and draw them too [sic] me.”

Another letter reportedly asks, “Who has the bedrooms facing the street? I’ll know as soon as you move in … It will help me to know who is in which bedroom, then I can plan better.”

The owners were so terrified of the letters that they never moved into their million-dollar dream home.

Since news of "The Watcher" reached the rest of the town, and any prospective buyers, the couple has been unable to sell the house.

They sued the former owners last summer, claiming they should have warned them about the letter writer. They want the former owners to refund them the purchase price and pay punitive damages.

The former owners call the couple's claims "fiction" and have moved to have the suit dismissed.

The house was taken off the market after the suit was filed. But it was put up for sale again last week.