MARYSVILLE, Wash. – Almost every day for 20 years, Kristine Moore says she eats potato chips at lunch.
In February, a sharp ridge of a chip scratched her throat and possibly saved her life.
Moore told KIRO that she went home to ask her husband to look at the scratch.
“He says, ‘Boy, your tonsils look really red and swollen and there’s stuff on it,” she said.
Moore and her husband went to a walk-in clinic to get her tonsils checked out.
Doctors performed a strep test, which came back negative, but they were still concerned about the swelling in her throat.
A biopsy was performed and Moore was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma.
Moore says if it wasn’t for the chip, she wouldn’t have known about the cancer until it was much farther along.
“The potato chip was a blessing in disguise. I probably wouldn’t have found out for another year,” Moore said.
She says years of smoking may be to blame for the cancer, but she has since quit.