Baby suffers burns after hospital heater mishap

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – A Tennessee family says they were overjoyed to welcome their baby girl, Aminah, into the world.

Now, they are furious after they say their newborn daughter suffered burns while at the hospital.

After just a few hours after birth, family members say Aminah’s temperature dropped, so nurses put her under a heater.

A little while later, the baby’s parents were told that she had been burned when a screw fell out of the heat lamp and onto her neck and chest.

“One of the nurses that came in the room said she noticed when it fell. She said she was standing right near the baby,” Sean Boyd, the baby’s father, told WSMV. “I don’t believe that because the way the burn marks look, it had to be sitting there for a second. It didn’t just roll on there and fall. It wouldn’t have done that much damage to her skin. It’s really bad, it’s blistered.”

Boyd says he plans to sue Saint Thomas Midtown¬†because of Aminah’s injuries.

“Maybe they should start checking that equipment more thoroughly before they use it so nobody else’s baby has to go through this,” he said.

Saint Thomas’ statement to WSMV read, “A nursing staff member who was at the bedside, removed the baby from the warmer… A neonatologist was called to assess the baby immediately. A plastic specialist has been contacted to examine the baby to see if any treatment is needed at this time. There will be no cost incurred by the family related to this event. Saint Thomas Midtown is very sorry that this event occurred and have offered a sincere apology to the parents.”

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.