KFOR interactive radar
Weather Closings and Delays

Muscular Dystrophy Association seeking male counselors for camp

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY - Jason Smith can't wait for Muscular Dystrophy Association summer camp in July.

For dozens of children just like Jason, the summer camp is their only time to get out and be active as the degenerative muscular disease progresses.

It's a genetic disorder that Jason has been able to manage with medication.

"I actually have a twin brother, and they says there's a 75 percent chance that one of us would have it and there's a 25 percent that both of us would have it, but it was only me,” Smith said.

However, the camp is in jeopardy.

The MDA said they need one counselor for each child.

Right now, they don't have enough volunteers.

"They are so valuable to them, because these kids look forward to this week so much, and the counselors are a crucial piece of making sure the kids can be there and participate," said Sarah Bailey with the MDA.

Organizers said about 55 children are expected to attend the camp in July, meaning they are 10 male counselors short.

Seth Lewis is in his sixth year as a counselor at the MDA camp.

For him, being around the energetic kids is the most rewarding experience he's ever had.

"Honestly, it’s the most selfless week you can give back to somebody. It's not about you. It's about the kids, and you'll come back a different person," Lewis said.

"I really like camp, and I hope that some males would like to be a counselor, because it would be a lot of help and just the experience will help you in so many ways. You can become a better person," Smith said.

For more information and to become a counselor, call the MDA office in Oklahoma City at 405-722-8001 and ask for Bailey.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.