Oklahoma Watches and Warnings
Watch KFOR Live Interactive Radar

Man charged after running over deputy’s foot, fleeing officers

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA - A man is facing six criminal counts after leading law enforcement on a 10-minute chase across the metro.

Winston Cooper Jr., 44, is charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, aggravated eluding a police officer, driving with a suspended license, drug possession and possession of an offensive weapon.

It all started when an Oklahoma County Sheriff's Deputy tried to pull Cooper over for a bad brake light.

According to an affidavit, the deputy approached the gold Pontiac Grand Am near N.W. 36th and Shartel.

Cooper told the deputy he didn't have a driver's license.

The passenger, who was not charged, showed his license.

Cooper then reached for the glove box, according to the affidavit, before shifting the vehicle into gear and driving away, running over the deputy's foot in the process.

"[The deputy] got right back in his car and started chasing him right away," said OCSO Spokesman Mark Opgrande. "He said it was more of an adrenaline rush at the time."

The Pontiac took off east on 36th, running a red light in front of an Oklahoma City police officer, who joined the pursuit, unaware of the previous attempted traffic stop.

"Anytime you do a pursuit, it can be very dangerous," Opgrande said. "So, you have to weigh a lot of factors in pursuing them or to call the pursuit off."

In this case, officers followed Cooper as he ran another red light, turning onto northbound I-235.

According to the affidavit, he drove "along the emergency shoulder of I-235 NB at speeds in excess of 70 MPH."

"At one point, Mr. Cooper pulled into the main lanes of the interstate and stopped while straddling both NB lanes of traffic," according to the document.

Ultimately, Cooper gave himself up at N.W. 50th and Shartel.

He and his passenger were both taken into custody, though the passenger was released.

Officers found a red pipe with residue that smelled of marijuana and a generic brand Xanax pill, according to court documents.

Officers also found a large knife and brass knuckles.

Cooper told officers he ran because he had other warrants for his arrest - one out of Oklahoma County and the other out of Ofuskee County.