Summertime heat bringing triple digit temperatures to the forecast
Follow storms on KFOR live interactive radar

Toddler dies from anesthesia to treat tooth decay

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

AUSTIN, Texas-The medical examiner’s office announced Wednesday that the cause of death of Daisy Lynn Torres, who died on March 29 at a dental office, has been found to be the result of anesthesia given to the girl for the treatment of tooth decay.

The 14-month-old was sedated for the treatment of six cavities, something the dental office told Betty Squier, the girl’s mother, was common practice.

The dentist initially told Daisy’s mother that her daughter was fine after the procedure started.

But then told her they had performed CPR.

Squier says she found out later that her daughter stopped breathing and had gone into cardiac arrest.

Austin station, KXAN, received a statement from Jason Ray, an attorney representing the dentist who treated Daisy Lynn Torres.

“The pediatric dentist had nothing to do with the anesthesia Daisy received. In fact, the dentist has NEVER provided general anesthesia to ANY patients at any time in his career.  Instead, the dentist relied on a Board Certified Medical Anesthesiologist and the anesthesiologist’s support team.  The anesthesiologist was properly licensed by the Texas Medical Board, and credentialed by the American Board of Anesthesiology. The anesthesiologist had no history of complaints or administrative action by the Medical Board in his many years of practice, and he had served the pediatric dentist’s patients for years without incident.

Like Daisy’s parents, the pediatric dentist has been greatly affected by this heartbreaking event, which is the first medical incident in his career.  His heart goes out to the parents and family of the child.”