Investigators: Man behind homeless attacks used railroad spikes to kill victims

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

SAN DIEGO, Calif. - A man arrested for a series of deadly attacks on homeless men in San Diego will undergo a mental competency evaluation before the case moves forward.

Jon David Guerrero was arrested for allegedly attacking five men, killing three of them. He was ultimately charged with three counts of murder and two counts of premeditated attempted murder.

Guerrero's public defender told the court that the defendant is "severely mentally ill" and he doubted his client's ability to understand the charges against him, according to FOX 5.

However, prosecutors say Guerrero's crimes showed "extreme planning," adding that he didn't show signs of a "person suffering from a disorganized mind."

Investigators say Guerrero attacked the victims while they slept, stabbed them with railroad spikes and set two of them on fire.

The body of the first victim, 53-year-old Angelo De Nardo of San Diego, was found the morning of July 3. An autopsy determined that De Nardo died prior to being set on fire.

The next day, officers found 61-year-old Manuel Mason severely wounded shortly before 5 a.m. on the Fourth of July.

The suspect is also believed to be behind the killing of 41-year-old Shawn Longley, whose body was found the same day at a park. Police said the suspect also attacked 23-year-old Dionicio Derek Vahidy last Wednesday. Vahidy died in a hospital Sunday afternoon.

So far, authorities have not released a motive for the violence.

If convicted, Guerrero could face the death penalty.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.