Police believe Guthrie man accused in break ins, beating was hallucinating

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Update: Tru Johnson pleaded guilty Nov. 4 to all eight counts filed against him. He received a deferred sentence to November 2026. As punishment, he will serve 90 days in jail with credit for time served; pay the victims $1,000; complete 100 hours of community service and write a letter of apology to the victims.

GUTHRIE, Okla. - It took four officers, a taser and the threat of a police dog to bring a man into custody who is accused of breaking in to two homes and beating one of the people inside.

"You never know when somebody’s going to bust inside your house like that," said Reggie Dunn, whose neighbor received the rude awakening. "He had his door locked, but he said this guy just busted through his door and said ‘Help me, they’re after me.’"

Now, Reggie is keeping his shotgun at his bedside after police arrested Tru Javier Treyvon Johnson, 18, early Tuesday morning.

Johnson is facing seven felony counts, including burglary and assault and battery on a police officer.

Johnson first attempted to break into a home on E. Vilas St., but officers said he didn't make it all the way in.

At that point, police said Johnson called 911, trying to tell officers where he was.

"He was kind of muttering," Guthrie Police Sgt. Jeremy Thorne told NewsChannel 4. "It was unrecognizable really what he was saying. He was trying to give a location of where he was at, and he believed he was in some kind of danger."

Johnson's mother told NewsChannel 4 that call was a call for help as her son hallucinated on drugs.

She said her son is not a bad person who has never hurt anyone.

This time, she said, he simply made a mistake which he regrets and is "really sorry" about.

Police said Johnson walked to a house on E. Harrison St., broke in and then began punching a man sleeping in his bed.

Officers and Logan County Sheriff's deputies found Johnson holding a hammer and pushing a door shut at the home.

He hadn't stolen any items and didn't appear to have a motive.

"Just intoxication," Thorne said. "We’re not really sure what it is he took. He said he had taken mushrooms. We’re sure exactly what it was. We just know he was out of his mind and wasn’t listening to officers."

When officers tried to apprehend him, Johnson fought back, spitting at an officer, kicking several others and injuring one.

According to an affidavit, officers used tasers on Johnson "multiple times with no affect (sic)."

Another officer hit Johnson with a hammer but had little success.

Ultimately, police said, a canine unit was brought in, which got Johnson to give in.

He continued to have hallucinations in the back of the police vehicle and became combative at Mercy Logan County Hospital.

Urine samples show Johnson had marijuana in his system, according to the affidavit, but found no trace of mushrooms.

A day after the attack, the Dunn family is seriously thinking about moving from their home.

"It freaks you out," said Morgan Dunn. "It’s just really hard to sleep now. You shouldn’t get involved in drugs in the first place, just because things like this happen. You could hurt somebody and have to live with it for the rest of your life, or they could hurt you and you wind up dead."

Johnson is being held on $315,000 bond in Logan County Jail.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.