“He’s definitely an angel of mercy,” Oklahoma couple saved by city employee

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ENID, Okla. - A city employee who was in the right place, at the right time, saves an Oklahoma couple from a burning home.

All was calm on N. Adams on Wednesday afternoon, but hours earlier smoke filled the morning sky.

It was just after 8 a.m. when fire crews got the call.

"There was a couple, here in Enid, that was awakened by their dogs," said Fire Marshall Ken Helms, with the Enid Fire Department. "Realized the house was full of smoke."

But Enid firefighters weren't the first ones on the scene.

The first person happened to be an Enid Utility Services employee named Alan Peterson.

The Enid employee would find James and Nola Clark, both in their 60's, stuck inside a home filling with smoke.

"He responded to assist [Nola], helped her out of the window of the house. She told him her husband was still inside," said Helms. "Managed to kick the front door open, and help him escape the house as well."

Enid police and fire arrived soon after, saving the home and rendering aid to the Clarks.

Sadly, two dogs died as a result of smoke in the home.

Neighbors fear what might have happened had Alan Peterson not been close by.

"God love 'em, he's definitely an angel of mercy for that," said Damon Cooper. "Thank you, thank you, you're awesome people, and you did a great deed."

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.