OKLAHOMA - A Maysville couple is heartbroken, after their dog died after being left at a Norman pet daycare.
“They had our dog for six hours. I had him for four and a half years. That dog was fine,” said Heather Benthin.
That’s why what happened to Benthin’s dog came as such a shock.
A few days before his death, she took Balzack, her English bulldog, for a full checkup.
“The vet said he was fine, gave him his shots, listened to his chest and checked him out. He said he's in perfect health,” she said.
Before heading out of town, she dropped Balzack off at the daycare and said she gave specific instructions.
“I said my dog cannot be out for more than 20 minutes, because English bulldogs are very bad about having heat related deaths and illnesses,” Benthin said.
The owners of Fur Night and Day daycare said Balzack was being monitored.
“He was out for less than an hour and then went out for lunch in an air conditioned room for two hours and was out in an indoor/outdoor play yard for about 1:40 minutes,” said Mike Nordhaus.
Shortly after, he said an employee found the dog dead.
Benthin had a family member pick up her dog and taken to the vet.
She said a necropsy listed the cause of death as heat related.
Fur Night and Day owners said they don't know how they could have prevented Balzack’s death.
“To be accused of killing their dog is very heartbreaking. We know we didn't do anything wrong. He was being watched the entire time. We were watching him 100 percent,” Nordhaus said.
For Benthin, that is impossible to believe.
She said the owners haven't offered to compensate her in any way and the least they could do is take responsibility for what happened.
“You know, I'm not an evil person. I just feel like we have totally been done wrong,” Benthin said.