6 space heater safety tips that may save your life
OKLAHOMA CITY – As temperatures drop, thousands of Oklahomans will be dusting off their space heaters to keep warm.
Experts say more than half of all fires this time of year are caused by those tiny heaters.
Here are six space heater safety tips the Oklahoma City Fire Department says may save your life:
- Keep space heaters at least three feet away from any combustible materials.
- Plug the cord directly into a wall outlet, not an extension cord.
- If the space heater is out of sight, leave it off.
- Shut it off at night.
- Check to see if the cord is heated. Any cord damage can spark a fire as well.
- Never run the cord under a carpet or rug