OKLAHOMA CITY - Many people are home for the weekend to enjoy the holiday, but one local family doesn't have that luxury.
Chris Bryan, Linda York and their nine kids are now homeless.
Luckily, everyone made it out alive thanks to a passing motorist. Now, they're starting over from scratch and shaking their heads in disbelief.
On Sunday morning, the couple was asleep downstairs when the fire started in the attic.
Their nine children were not home because they were spending the weekend with relatives.
York says she awoke in a panic when firefighters broke through the front door, waking the family and rescuing the family pet.
“I'm still trying to process if my kids were here or not,” Linda said. “He kept telling me, ‘They're not here. They're not here.’”
The family of eleven recently moved into the rental home, which didn't have a single smoke alarm.
“That was one thing we should have, they didn't have them in there,” Linda said. “We should have got some.”
Everything upstairs burned up, including all of the kid's belongings.
The family didn't have renter's insurance.
Linda says the hardest part is, “My kids losing everything and not having a home for Christmas now.”
Right now, they’re living with different relatives.
They’re really missing the simple things, like putting up their Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving.
“He was so excited to put lights up on the house, so he was trying to make the kids proud,” Linda said. “We didn't get to do that.”
All they want this Christmas is a home that sleeps eleven.
"We really need prayers right now," York said.
A GoFundMe page has been set up for the family.