LUTHER, Okla. - The smoke has cleared from a fire that claimed the life of a longtime Luther resident.
Officials said a husband and wife were inside the home on South Dogwood when the fire started.
The wife was taken to the hospital.
She was treated for smoke inhalation.
Her husband was found dead in a bedroom.
According to the Oklahoma County medical examiner’s office, 48-year-old Tony Taylor died from smoke inhalation and thermal burns.
They said his death was an accident.
Neighbors are in disbelief.
"It’s horrible," said Jessie Johnson.
Johnson lives a few blocks away and said he woke up to the sound of sirens.
"As far as I know, they both made it out and the husband decided to go back in the house, never came out," Johnson said.
Other neighbors tell us both Tony and his wife are well-known in the community and were volunteers at the Luther Service Center.
"The love will come out. Luther is a good town. Everyone's heart is really good. Once more is known and family is contacted, everybody will come out of the woodwork's to help them out," said Kim Bourns, neighbor.
The fire marshal is still investigating exactly what started the fire, but neighbors believe there was only one way in or out of the home.
"It doesn't take much. One wrong thing in one wrong spot and these old houses, man, they just go up," Bourns said.
The Taylor family recently suffered another major loss.
Their son, Caleb, was killed in tragic car wreck in March of this year.
"My heart just goes out to this family. I hope somehow they find closure and can move forward some way," Johnson said.
The fire Marshall said the fire is listed as "unclassified."
He will file a final report once he speaks with the victim's wife.