Police searching for suspects who fired shots at Oklahoma City officers

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma City police are searching for a suspect who shot at officers during a traffic stop Thursday night.

It happened around 9:30 at N.W. 10th and Rockwell.

The driver pulled into a parking lot on the northwest corner of that intersection.

He didn’t have a license so officers put him in the back of the patrol car and began searching his vehicle when shots started flying.

“They did not get a good look at the shooter at the time. It was just simply too far away and it was nighttime. Officers took cover,” said Master Sergeant Gary Knight. “One of the vehicles was hit by at least two bullets. An officer received a minor graze wound to his wrist.”

Police are not releasing that officer’s identity, but tell us he is a 12 year veteran of the force and is part of the gang unit.

“We came dangerously close to having a tragic situation occur last night. These rounds were flying around very close to where these officers were and thankfully none of them were hit other than a minor graze wound,” said MSgt. Knight.

Tavonne Payne was the person pulled over in the traffic stop.

He was arrested on a possession of marijuana charge.

Police say when they first approached his vehicle, he wouldn’t get off the phone.

The report says “It appeared AR (arrested) was more interested in telling the person on the phone he was pulled over on “10th street.”

“At this point, there’s nothing that links that person to this event. But obviously investigators are going to look at every possibility on it,” said MSgt. Knight.

Police are anxious to get the shooter in custody.

“It’s paramount that we get this person identified and off the streets before they have an opportunity to truly hurt somebody,” said MSgt. Knight.

That officer whose hand was grazed actually found the bullet inside his pocket.

He was checked out at the hospital but was just fine.

The four officers on scene did not return fire because they could not see exactly where those shots were coming from.