OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma City firefighters battled a fire that consumed a house on the city’s southwest side on Wednesday morning.
Shortly before 10:30 a.m., firefighters responded to a house fire in the 7400 block of S. Drexel.
When crews arrived on the scene, they saw heavy smoke coming from all areas of the home.
Once they were on the scene, they spotted two vehicles in the driveway, which made them concerned that two people may be trapped inside the home.
Firefighters immediately began trying to ventilate the home so that it was safe for them to go inside the building.
Fortunately, firefighters say no one was trapped inside the home.
The two people they were concerned about were able to make it safely out of the home before fire crews arrived on the scene.
They told investigators that they were asleep when a smoke alarm woke them up. They were able to escape through a window.
Fire officials say the blaze is believed to have accidentally started in the living room. They estimate the damage to be close to $57,000.