Utah couple killed in house fire sparked by Christmas tree lights

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WOODS CROSS, Utah -- The South Davis Metro Fire Department said faulty Christmas tree lights are likely to blame for a fire that killed an elderly Woods Cross couple, according to KSTU.

Officials said 74-year-old Melba Mecham and 77-year-old Gary Mecham died after trying to put out the fire, likely from smoke inhalation.

Fire crews were called to the home near 2255 S. Sorrento Dr. in Woods Cross at about 10:30 p.m. Thursday.

Firefighters found the couple inside and brought them outside to medical crews who immediately started CPR to try to save them.

They later died at the hospital.

Investigators said the couple tried to use a fire extinguisher to put out the flames before firefighters arrived and were overcome by smoke.

Authorities said the fire caused about $50,000 in damage.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.