OKLAHOMA CITY - Firefighters are investigating an apartment fire after a woman's body was found inside Saturday morning.
Two units were dispatched to a "smoke investigation" call at the Forrest Oak Apartments.
Once on scene, crews entered the upstairs apartment and found a fire in the kitchen.
"It did consume much of the kitchen," said OKCFD District Chief Kyle Durham. "Once they got inside and were able to make access into the room, they got the fire out pretty quickly. It was at that point that they found the victim and removed her."
It appeared the fire started on top of the stove, Durham said. Oklahoma City Fire deployed a "big response" -- about 50-60 people firefighters -- to ensure flames didn't spread to the rest of the complex.
The woman's body was found in the living room.
The Oklahoma City Police Department is helping investigate the death.
Firefighters told NewsChannel 4 earlier this month that the holidays are a common time for kitchen fires.
"I would say most of the fires we respond on are food left on the stove, somebody walking out of the room unattended and forgetting
about it, or things in the oven," said OKCFD Corp. Colin Plain. "Hosting big family dinners, turkeys, hams, all those oils can catch on fire very easily."