Watch KFOR Live Interactive Radar

Driver at center of shooting investigation killed in crash during chase

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

UNION CITY, Okla. - After reports of multiple shootings, a driver led authorities on a chase which ended with a fatal accident.

Loretta Norvell told NewsChannel 4 this wasn't how she expected to spend Friday morning.

"I was just watching television and I heard a boom like an earthquake, because that had happened a few weeks ago. So I go 'okay.' I came out front. I saw the policemen," Norvell said.

Right in front of Norvell's home just outside of Union City, a driver smashed into the front of a semi.

It was the end to an eventful morning for authorities in multiple Oklahoma counties.

"A vehicle on I-40 going westbound had at least discharged one weapon at least one vehicle and actually a report was being taken out there by law enforcement in the Weatherford area," Mark Woodward with the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics said.

Then around that time, authorities received a similar report near El Reno.

"Our canine intervention unit was working just west of El Reno when an SUV pulled up to one of our cars, parked in the median, said that somebody just blew out my car window and pointed at a small white Sedan with a tan roof," Woodward said.

The vehicle sped away which led to a pursuit, ending on Highway 81 near Union City when the driver swerved into the wrong lane and hit the semi head on.

"The driver of the vehicle was pronounced dead at the scene and it would appear that the driver committed suicide because he took no evasive action to stop," Woodward said.

It was a long morning for authorities, and a scary ordeal for those who live in the area.

"I just feel bad for the families who had to endure what's happened today," Norvell said.

The driver of the semi is expected to be alright.

Woodward said they did find a gun in the white Sedan.