Anadarko officers reinstated to full duty following investigation into officer-involved shooting

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ANADARKO, Okla. – Two Oklahoma officers are being placed on active duty following an investigation into a deadly shooting.

In February, police were called to a home in the 100 block of Prairie Village Avenue in Anadarko following an alleged fight.

When Anadarko officers arrived on the scene, they say they were confronted by 34-year-old Henry James Hunter.

Hunter, who was armed with a knife, was shot by officers after he reportedly charged them. 

Hunter died from his injuries.

A toxicology report shows that Hunter had methamphetamine and amphetamine in his system at the time of his death.

Henry James Hunter, Oklahoma Department of Corrections

At the time, Cpl. Eric Harlan and Officer James Coker were placed on administrative leave pending an investigation into their use of force.

On Monday, the Anadarko Police Department announced that it has been informed that the investigation into the shooting by the OSBI and the district attorney’s office is complete.

“It has determined neither Corporal Harlan nor Officer Coker violated any current City of Anadarko or Anadarko Police Department policies or state statues,” a release by the department read.

Due to those findings, both officers will be reinstated to full duty.

On Friday, the district attorney’s office announced that no charges would be filed in the case, adding that the shooting was justified.

“Officer Harlan was faced with a very difficult decision on February 8, 2017. He responded to a “disturbance call” describing that a resident had a knife and was “out of control.” Under the circumstances presented to the Office of the District Attorney, Officer Harlan had to make that decision in a split second. That decision was to either fire his weapon and protect himself and Officer Coker or to allow Hunter to advance against them with a knife and hammer in his hand,” a release by the district attorney’s office read, in part.

“It is reasonable for one to believe that if Officer Harlan had not fired his weapon, either Officer Harlan or Coker would have been subjected to the infliction of serious bodily harm. While no one likes situations such as this, the Officer’s actions were justified and as such he will not be subjected to prosecution for the death of Henry Hunter on February 8, 2017,” the release continued.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.