Murder charge dropped in fatal stabbing of Houston boy, 11

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HOUSTON – Prosecutors have dropped a murder charge against a homeless man accused of fatally stabbing an 11-year-old Houston boy as the child walked home from school last year.

The Harris County District Attorney’s Office announced Tuesday DNA tests prosecutors received this week were inconclusive and there wasn’t enough evidence to try 28-year-old Andre Timothy Jackson Jr. for murder.

First Assistant District Attorney Tom Berg said Jackson is still a suspect in the May 17, 2016, slaying of Josue Flores but that authorities are essentially starting over with their investigation.

Jerome Godinich, Jackson’s attorney, said he was not surprised by the decision from prosecutors as he believed his client was not responsible for the boy’s killing.

Jackson, who’s been jailed since his arrest, was expected to be freed later Tuesday.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.