Oklahoma Watches and Warnings
Watch KFOR Live Interactive Radar

Survivor’s Story: How an Oklahoma mother who nearly died after giving birth faced death once again

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA - In 2014, Lindsey Miller checked into the hospital perfectly healthy to deliver her baby girl.

But, something went terribly wrong after the delivery.

She contracted a life-threatening strep infection, and by the time it was all over, she'd spent months in the ICU.

Doctors were forced to remove her left leg to save her life.

But, her fight to survive didn't end there.

When Miller got home, she struggled with her unexpected disability.

On the outside, she was healing and making progress, learning to walk with her prosthetic leg.

However, on the inside, her challenges were far from over.

Miller's septic strep infection had done serious damage to her internal organs, especially her kidneys.

Her condition required dialysis three times a week for three hours at a time because Miller had almost no function in one of her kidneys and minimal function in the other.

The treatments began to take their toll on the Miller family.

According to doctors, the only true solution was a kidney transplant.

"We grew up having each other," said Miller's older brother, William Hohensee. "I didn't want her dying. That's the main part that scared me when all this happened. I thought she was going to die."

Lindsey and William have always been close; they are only 11 months apart.

Earlier this year, William decided it was time to be tested for organ compatibility with his sister.

He was a perfect match.

"It's been such a long journey with dialysis," Lindsey said. "It's been miserable."

William and Lindsey worked with the transplant team at Integris Baptist Hospital for months.

In June, a team of doctors coordinated their surgery; a live kidney donor transplant.

It was William's first time ever to be hospitalized.

He says he chose to donate his kidney to his sister to save her life.

"I knew I wanted to do this to get her off dialysis and hopefully live longer for the kids," William said.

Lindsey's daughter, Paisley, is three-years-old now. Big brother, Ryder, is five-years-old.

"I'm a normal person with a functioning kidney. (Doctors) are so amazed at how fast it's worked," Lindsey said of her new kidney. "It's because it's a perfect match."

Lindsey is happy and healthy and has some extra time on her hands after the surgery since she no longer has to undergo dialysis treatments.

She now has more hours to spend with her kids instead of at dialysis and more years to spend enjoying her loved ones because of the benevolence of her big brother.