Toddler making progress after being critically injured after being struck by grandmother’s SUV

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

STILLWATER, Okla. - A toddler who was critically injured after she was accidentally struck by a vehicle driven by her grandmother Thanksgiving evening is making progress.

Stillwater police were called to the 2400 block of W. 26th Ave. shortly after 5 p.m. Thursday.

According to Stillwater police, 2-year-old Merida Gibson's grandmother, Joan Conley, was driving a Buick Enclave SUV and did not see the toddler in the driveway.

"The grandmother was leaving from spending the holiday with the family and did not see her three-year-old granddaughter seated, on the ground, in front of the car," wrote Stillwater Police Patrol Lt. Kerry Bell in an email later posted to the department's Facebook Page Friday evening. "She pulled forward, ran over the top of the child, causing serious trauma."

Although police initially said the girl was three years old, family members confirmed the girl is two.

Stillwater Police, Fire Department and LifeNet Emergency Medical Services responded to the call. Gibson was airlifted to OU Children's Hospital in critical condition.

According to a GoFundMe account created Friday, Gibson has face and skull fractures as was well as internal injuries to her lungs and spleen. Family friends tell News 4 the young girl's mother and older sister were in town from Mexico visiting family and friends for the holiday.

The GoFundMe is to assist in covering the cost of flying the girl's father to the United States from Mexico and defer medical costs associated with her care.

Stillwater police say the girl's family is the same family that delivered Thanksgiving meals to the police station earlier in the day for officers unable to be with their families for the holiday.

"The family, filled with grief, still came to each one of us and thanked us for being the ones that responded for their granddaughter," Lt. Bell wrote in an end of shift email. "We gave thanks to GOD that we were the ones that got to help with this little girl. The cops prayed with the family when the helicopter left. This was the granddaughter of the family that brought in the Thanksgiving meal to the shifts today. I have no more words for this Thanksgiving.”

According to the Stillwater News Press, the little girl is making progress.

Although Gibson remains hospitalized, her condition has been upgraded from "critical" to "fair," the Stillwater News Press reports.

According to the girl's GoFundMe page, Gibson is no longer on a ventilator, but she is still unable to talk.

Her aunt, Brandy Gibson, told the Stillwater News Press that the little girl's lungs are doing much better.

The fact that she can open her eye and at least nod an answer to questions is amazing,” Gibson said.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.